Subscribe To My Podcast

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Week 2 - Creating ABCD Objectives

In this week,  I got new valuable skill regarding how to create objective learning in our class. Our instructor, Robert shows us some links that we should visit and read. All those links focused on ABCD objective which was introduced by Heinich in 1996. ABCD stands for Audience, Behavioral, Condition, and Degree. I think this method of writing objective could bring benefit particularly for teacher since it can reduce typical problems encounter when writing objectives, for example the objective is too broad in scope.

When I tried to write my objective of my Listening 1 class I’ve got confused at first as I should follow the ABCD pattern. However, it just made much easier to write objective and suit the student needs I thought. This method applies Bloom’s taxonomy which consists of cognitive, affective, and psychomotor to meet the student need. For me, this is really challenging me to write objective more precisely. 

When I tried to write my objective of my Listening 1 class I’ve got confused at first as I should follow the ABCD pattern. However, it just made much easier to write objective and suit the student needs I thought. This method applies Bloom’s taxonomy which consists of cognitive, affective, and psychomotor to meet the student need. For me, this is really challenging me to write objective more precisely. 

Flashback in 2008, I studied a little bit how to write objective learning. But, it has different term. I may be wrong when I think that objective is just as same as aim. In fact, objective and aim want to reach how the goal of learning process should be. To what extent sort of learning process result has to be accomplished as well. The objective and aim should be used to meet benefit in our class. 
Nonetheless, we have to consider that which one between objective and aim is more comprehensive in terms of providing benefit. For this consideration, of course, I will choose ABCD model that enable me to create objective of learning easily for my next classes.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andi..

    It is interesting to read your post about the term 'objective' and 'aim'. Both terms refer to results we expect to see at the end of a process which give us directions where to go to achieve our destination. However, I found out that it has different characteristics. An aim is placed higher thus more general than an objective.
    Aim: A brief statement setting out the intention in providing the degree program or course in terms of the scope of the subject, and the overall learning outcomes sought.
    Objectives (or intended learning outcomes)
    A number of specific statements setting out what it is intended the student will have learnt or be able to do as a result of the educational experience.

    To be more specific please check these links out:
    http://www.ica-sae.org/trainer/english/p4.htm
    http://www.abdn.ac.uk/admin/aimsobs.shtml

    Johanes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Johanes

    Thank you for your valuable comment. It really helps refreshing my mind when I attended my class in 2008. At that time, I learned how to differentiate between objective and aim. You are right that aim is broader than objective.

    I also visited your suggested links. Those provide a very clear explanation regarding to objective and aim.

    Regards,

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andy,
    Today, as we know, in Indonesia we use competence standard, basic competence and indicator instead of objectives and aims. What is your opinion about it? I hope that I can get your perspectives.

    Regards,
    Nur

    ReplyDelete