Subscribe To My Podcast

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Week 3 - Delicious : An Online Bookmarking

When I saw Delicious was appeared in our weekly task, I thought that this must be something to eat or it might be a sort of software for specific purpose. However, a brief explanation showed that the main function of this program was as a social bookmarking. Wow… for me, this is a new vocabulary item as my previous one is just social networking term. 

It is similar with most of my colleagues’ experience, this also my first time to know Delicious but others had known and familiar with this stuff before. What actually the benefit of this stuff? The main purpose is for bookmarking weblinks from any online computers and sharing the links to others.  This could be interesting as my previous knowledge is that I could save my favorite weblinks on Firefox tab. I am not able to open my favorite ones when my computer is disconnected to internet. The drawback might happen when I save 15 or more my favorite weblinks on Firefox tab since the row of bookmarks will like a fence on the tab.

Delicious allows me to place my favorite weblinks online easily without requires complicated internet skill. The first visit to join, it only needs me to fill my desired user name or ID, password, email, and type a security word.  Do not forget to download add-on to put  Delicious toolbar on Firefox.  This stuff will make me much easier to put desired address links into my links list in Delicious by just clicking it.  The advantage is that I could put all my favorite links as many as I wish (I don’t know exactly the limit of placed links) even the links are placed orderly so it needs several pages to search. Moreover, I could categorize the links by recognizing them into some tags, for example Reading, Listening, Webskill, Game, and so forth. On the other hand, the disadvantage is that it needs one certain computer to access this stuff as the computer should be installed Delicious toolbar. Nevertheless, to solve this drawback I need to utilize bookmarklets which is provided by Delicious. 

In all, this tool is valuable for those who have to do a lot of bookmarks and need to find out online way to save their favorite links. This stuff is much comfortable to use as I could store my favorite links as many as I like. However, just in case, it would be better to consider concerning second stuff  rather than in Delicious or other way to back up our links as Robert was also concerned about.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Andi,

    Just like you, I am a new brand delicious user. I like your post because you made me think something I took for granted and did not consider before. What happens if I do not have an internet connection and I want to check my links? Not to be able to see them because there is no internet connection seems to be a disadvantage, but the advantages seem to be more.

    I agree that Delicious is an interesting online bookmark and you can have and share interesting links assorted with tags that make your search easier. I am still experimenting with this new tool. Something that I have learned so far is that when you think you have learned about a new tool and are still trying to use it there is a new one that comes. I think I will need plenty of time to get familiar with all these sites and use them to plan my classes. I am sure that if we pursuit, we will be using these sites as well as our online classmates who seem to have more experience than we do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Andi,

    Same feeling I had when I first found "Delicious" in the lower left of the homepage of this course.
    "Oh, what's delicious??"
    I am one of them that got the clear solution to the problem about bookmarks and now I enjoy all the advantages you mentioned above. (Your explanation is so clear and helps me understand advantages and disadvantages very well. Thank you!)

    I think the next step is visiting classmates' sites and sharing lists each other by clicking "follow" If you have time to add some helpful comment/recommendation for each website, visitors would be so happy.
    I am now looking forward to your list getting bigger and richer in content.

    Masa

    ReplyDelete